Technical Services Engineer
Charter Steel (Cleveland, OH)
The Technical Services Engineer is Charter Steel’s primary technical contact with our customers. This position is responsible for working with current and future customers to ensure technical requirements and material specifications are met with Charter Steel’s bar, rod, and wire products in a wide variety of applications. The position will work closely with the customer and Production to apply Charter’s capabilities to the customer’s needs and ensure the correct engineering principles and solutions are applied to making the product. The responsibility of the Technical Services Engineer is to act as a liaison within the business and to work with the Sales, Planning and Production functions, as well as other key areas to identify and explain technical issues as they relate to production capabilities for specific applications. The Technical Services Engineer plays a key role in identifying and leading new product development within their areas of expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy/Materials Engineering or the equivalent.
- Five years or more experience in the manufacturing or use of steel bar, rod or wire products.
- Strong understanding of the steelmaking process.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Technical ability to understand, recommend and raise concerns with customer specifications.
- Interpersonal skills to work with individuals at all levels of the organization and utilize the internal knowledge base to solve technical problems.
- Experience in coaching and influencing others to achieve results.
- Proven ability to explain technical issues and influence product specifications with external and internal customers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Available to travel up to 40%, across a several state area including overnight stays. Occasional international travel may be necessary.
- Advanced degree in business, physical sciences, engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in strategic planning.
- Experience in the Cold Heading, Cold Finishing, High Carbon, Suspension Spring or SBQ Cut Length Bar markets as a customer or a supplier of steel products.
- Experience managing within a highly documented manufacturing quality system.
- Supervisory or managerial experience in a technical discipline.
- Experience with QS9000, ISO9000 and/or TS16949 quality systems.