Ohio Safety Manager
Charter Steel (Cleveland, OH)
POSITION SUMMARY: The Ohio Safety Manager will lead, direct and support the Ohio sites for safety system improvements, regulations and security to ensure that all plants comply with Federal and individual State guidelines and local ordinances concerning safety standards. The Ohio Safety Manager will partner with Operations Managers to establish goals, programs and objectives to drive a culture of safety. The Ohio Safety Manager will work with the Environmental and HR Leaders to establish programs and policies that consistent with Charter Steel’s cultural values. The successful candidate will be able to partner with managers in the business at all levels to not only support but be part of the overall business solutions as the business continues to grow.
BASIC FUNCTION: Develop and implement proactive safety plans and programs to provide for the safety and health of Charter Steel employees at the Ohio sites. Ensure compliance to state and federal regulations for all Charter Steel employees, equipment, and operations. Assist in establishing and implementing the safety strategic programs and objectives which support the overall business objectives. The Ohio Safety Manager will promote, communicate and drive safety performance through training, programs and policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health or related field.
- Seven years of progressive safety experience, including a minimum of 4 years at a plant level and prior supervisory responsibility for safety professionals.
- Experience in Workers Compensation Insurance
- A working background with team environments (SDWT, problem solving teams or work cells) or equivalent team training
- Demonstrated practical experience in safety process improvement and statutory requirements
- Experience interacting with local, state and federal regulatory agencies
- Ability to interpret and apply OSHA regulations on a practical basis
- Familiarity with basic medical terminology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the demonstrated ability to communicate successfully with multiple levels within an organization
- Demonstrated skills in the area of partnering with operational groups to develop and achieve strategic safety goals
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health or related field
- One or more of the following certifications: PE, CSP, ASP, CIH.
- Training in total quality management, continuous improvement and customer service systems or experience with similar processes
- EMT/ First Responder Certification
- Reports to the Division Safety Manager
- Primary internal customers: Charter Steel management team and employees
- Engage and collaborate with internal customers to develop strategic safety improvement plans and drive them to produce desired safety results and meet established targets.
- Lead, direct, and disseminate safety programs for all Charter Steel plants, including development of policies and processes to ensure safety compliance, as well as determining and implementing any necessary corrective action in safety programs.
- Advise and instruct operating management concerning the organization’s safety objectives.
- Conduct annual audits to evaluate operating performance to established policies, procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Lead and develop Ohio Safety team, including the creation of individual development plans to foster continuous professional growth and development.
- Promote a safe working environment for all employees at all Charter Steel sites.
- Manage accident investigation and corrective actions, housekeeping and safety auditing processes.
- Support and serve as a resource for safety teams to utilize their knowledge of day-to-day operations regarding safety to drive improvements and create value added processes.
- Engage and collaborate with operating management, human resources, other departments and staff at different Charter Manufacturing sites to ensure similarity in safety programs.
- Leading, directing and inspiring action from employees, colleagues and management in diverse and changing business conditions to cultivate a safety culture and achieve safety goals.
- Maintain compliance on all regulations and keeping current with these regulations
- Changing daily operational routine to include safety as a part of every job
- Support teams to implement safety procedures in their organizations
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SUPERVISION:
- Safety Coordinator
- Safety Intern